balancing act

February 11, 2008 at 4:27 pm 1 comment

What a weekend.

Sweetlove had his first ear infection about a month ago and after a few weeks of his body trying to resolve it we ended up having to go the antibiotic route, he was in pain and it was only worsening. So he did the 10 days on antibiotics and he seemed 100% again. Then this weekend, Saturday at midnight he woke up screaming. Couldn’t really tell us what was wrong, it was almost like he was sleeping but crying. Then again at 1:15 am. Then again at 3:00 am. Then again at 3:30. By this time he was burning up. His temp was 101.5º. I gave him some tylenol and brought him into our bed and the rest of the night was spent holding him while he sobbed. It was awful. Not being able to help your baby and all you can do is be with him and try to wipe the tears away. Needless to say, by morning he was exhausted and slept a few hours. The rest of the day was Sweetlove in a state of sleep and awake, lethargic and feverish. I tried the luke warm bath, the light clothing, cold washcloths, lots of fluids, tylenol. Nothing was bringing the fever down. But the weird thing was, he wasn’t complaining that anything hurt. We took him into emergency last night when his fever hit 103.2º. So apparently his ears are still infected. Ugh. I really don’t want to do another round of antibiotics, and the doc thinks he might fight this on his own but gave us a script for a stronger antibiotic and told us it was our call. It sounded like he’d rather we didn’t give it to him but he may need it if this continued.

So this morning Sweetlove woke up… no fever. Bouncing off the walls like his usual self again! Crazy. This kid gets deathly ill and totally better in the snap of a finger. So bizzare. So now I don’t know what to do. His ears are still infected but he seems fine again. Do I give him the antibiotics or will this resolve itself on its own? Assvice welcome!

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Uncategorized.

there are no words wake me up on the other side

1 Comment Add your own

  • 1. Alisha  |  February 12, 2008 at 9:43 pm

    I’d wait it out and let nature take its course. Especially after all the controversy with children’s meds (even though antibiotics were not included in the recalls). Personally, I would only administer the higher dosage of antibiotics if he starts having high fevers again. Just my little speal. ;o) GOOD LUCK! Keep us posted on how he’s doing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Blog Stats

  • 18,448 hits

%d bloggers like this: