Need Your Advice, Oh Wise Women :)

March 3, 2007 at 2:39 am 3 comments

Let’s all assume that my cyst is gone, because at some point it will be and only then can we start IF treatment. We’ve got some serious decisions to make. The Next Step.

One major consideration is this sweet blessing of a child I have at home. His existance really affects how I can attempt treatment because in no way can I put my life at risk for the purpose of having more children. I mean, I guess I am in a small way, just by going through another high risk pregnancy, but I’m very confident in the minute risks to my life that under good doctor’s care that I will make it through. And I do have a good high risk OBGYN who followed me last time and my baby and I made it through alive and well. BUT… the way we go about this IF treatment may affect my life that much more if I end up with a multiple pregnancy (twins, or even triplets yikes). Triplets risk is so small that I’m not even worried too much, you have to have a LOT of ripe follicles ovulating for this to be a real possibility and my RE will cancel the procedure altogether if that risk is too high. But twins. Twins looks to me like a 1/4 chance from what I’ve read. And that’s pretty high. Now I’ve never been a “lucky” person, I never win draws or lotteries or contests, I’m just never a winner. You know how some people are always winning stuff? Yeah, not me. Does that make any difference here? I’m not sure. Just throwing it out there.

Here’s what we’re dealing with:
– “Unexplained Secondary Infertility”
– late ovulation (naturally between CD 27-34)
– Sperm count 389 million from last s/a, so better than average. Good motility.
– decent cervical fluid, I tend to have a lot of watery, not a lot of eggwhite. (sorry if tmi but it matters)
– Trying with timed intercourse for a year using OPK’s
– Three failed 50 mg clomid cycles, ovulated CD 21, CD 24, CD 19.

OK, so three options I see.

1) Unmedicated IUI. Safer as far as multiples go. A lot less successful statistically. Easier on me physically and emotionally (less invested). Safe Option. No cysts will develop (no drugs).

2) Clomid 100 mg / IUI / Trigger. I hate clomid but would be willing to give it one more go. Success rate not as good as injectibles. I may get another cyst and have to sit out a cycle afterwards. More chance of cancelled cycle if follies are too many or too big or too late… less controllable than injects that are monitored more throughout cycle for adjustments.

3) Injectibles / IUI. Scared but willing to go there. Cysts still a possibility. Expensive but not really a factor because we have insurance to cover. More of an investment emotionally and unsure of side effects of injects. Way better success rate than with clomid. I’ve seen SO many women with board signatures that say three clomid/iui cycles then the one that worked was the injects/iui. I’d rather skip those three-six months and go straight to what works. I am not sure how much more of this I can take. Emotionally.

So advice? I need help.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Uncategorized.

Finding Purpose I want to sleep again.

3 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Anonymous  |  March 3, 2007 at 8:48 am

    I can’t shed any light on this topic, but I know you’ll find the support you need in order to make the right decision for you.

    ((HUGS))

    Alisha

  • 2. canape  |  March 4, 2007 at 3:02 pm

    Okay. It is just an opinion, and about something that I am only just becoming slightly educated about, but here goes:

    I think it depends on your patience level, emotional strength, and own feelings more than the medical part. The three options all sound safe, and I guess I would go with #1 first if I felt I could wait a few more months through possible bfn’s. Then I’m with you. If #2 isn’t any less risk than #3 really, then why even go there? We are looking for results 🙂 Positives. Double lines. Plus signs.

    That is my 2 cents, which is worth, well, let’s just say I probably owe you money for even having to read it.

  • 3. Anonymous  |  March 5, 2007 at 1:18 am

    I have been following your story for some time and have been praying and wishing and hoping and all that for you. Me, I’d go with #3. Cut right to the chase. Just my opinion. I don’t think I’d want to deal with #1’s uncertainties and disappointments. Then, between 2 and 3, 3 is really the better choice. I would want results NOW and my thought is that #3 has better chance to produce quicker results. Whatever you chose, I’ll keep everything crossed for you. I feel in my heart that this is going to work out for you.

    Jackie

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Blog Stats

  • 18,446 hits

%d bloggers like this: